Now that your Patreon page is set up, you’re probably asking yourself the million dollar question: “How do I get more patrons?” As I mentioned previously, running a Patreon campaign is a long term affair that requires patience, persistence, and work. That said, there are definitely things that you can do to help yourself in this process. The following tips and tricks will help you build your base of patrons.
- Here’s the official form to ask to become a Featured Artist on Patreon: www.patreon.com/featureme
- The more interaction you have with your patrons, the more likely it is that you will get added visibility for your page. You should post something (if only a status update) at least once a week.
- The more posts you make public, the more opportunities you have to connect with new potential fans/patrons.
- Transparency and honesty! As in life, these are your friends – treat your fans well and they’ll take care of you.
- If possible, you should include a unique image with your posts, as this image will be included in the search results page of the Patreon search engine.
- How to deal with the stigma attached to patronage? Educate people as to how artists have historically made a living through patronage.
- Find a subtle way to bring your offline connections online, as these are your strongest relationships.
- Don’t look at Patreon as a separate platform, find a way to include Patreon into your online platform/workflow.
- Certain types of art can be hard to promote online (sculpture, for example). A solution is to learn to tell compelling stories about your art.
- Make your Patreon page very personal, since it’s where your super fans hang out.
- Rewards to be careful of: Things that you have to ship
- Creators can be patrons, too…and it’s a great idea!
- Is the link to your Patreon on your business card? If not, it should be!
- Get feedback on your page from friends and fans – feedback is golden, and you won’t know unless you ask!
- Could you say something with less words? Your page is your pitch – stay on message!
Click here for the next section: How to Get More Patrons
Questions? Thoughts? Have a tip to add? Please comment below!